GMAC sale attracting serious bidders
Other bidders are emerging, including Wachovia Corp., the 4th largest U.S. bank, and Blackstone Group, a private equity firm. Legendary takeover firm Kohlberg Kravis & Roberts may be considering joining the Wachovia bid.
Although GMAC has been a profit engine for GM, higher borrowing costs driven by the high-risk ratings of GM debt are eating into GMAC's profit margins. Sale of a major stake in GMAC would raise cash for GM (as much as $15 billion) and help boost GMAC's credit rating.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies