In this day and age you haven't made it as a global automotive powerhouse until you've developed your own six-speed automatic transmission. Ford and GM have developed one together and now Hyundai wants one, too. The development of anew six-speed auto will be done in-house by Hyundai, which means a previous joint venture with supplier ZF Friedrichshafen on the gearbox will be dissolved. The South Korean automaker plans to have the transmission ready for use in all-wheel drive applications by 2007, so we're guessing it will show up first in the new Santa Fe.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies