published a story recently that many Americans can appreciate — especially considering that Americans' thirst for horsepower has not become inversely proportional to gas prices. U.S. News has come out with its exclusive "muscle per gallon" index, which takes the horsepower of a vehicle, multiplies that by its gas mileage, and divides by 100. The winners: the 2WD Toyota Highlander Hybrid with a score of 88.44, the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 with a score of 80.80, and the Mercedes SLR McLaren with a score of 80.21. The highest-ranking vehicle under $30K is the Dodge Charger R/T with a score of 57.80 — beating out the likes of the Porsche 911 GT3 and the BMW M3.
- Great used cars for less than $10,000
- Owners say these cars aren't very good deals
- New Car Buying Guides
- Cheapest new automobiles in America
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models