With all the talk of rising gas prices, the popularity of hybrids and the fall of SUVs, we thought it would be interesting to revisit the kings of mileage, which the government has conveniently listed on a website called FuelEconomy.gov. The numero uno is, surprise, the Insight at 61 city/66 hwy. We're pretty sure Honda keeps this car around just for the title of most miserly. Hybrids take top honors in nearly every class in which they're sold, as do diesels. That is, except for the classes of Compact and Midsize cars where the Civic Hybrid manages to best VW's diesels. Of course, your mileage may vary so real world results might actually put the Jetta/Golf diesels ahead of their hybrid peers.
- Great used cars for less than $10,000
- Owners say these cars aren't very good deals
- New Car Buying Guides
- Cheapest new automobiles in America
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models