With the continuing battle to reduce the interior and exterior noise of vehicles (the first for customer satisfaction reasons; the second mostly driven by regulatory concerns), engineers need powerful tools to identify the source of noise. SenSound has developed technology called "near-field acoustic holography" that uses multiple microphones and sophisticated data post-processing to develop multi-dimensional images of sound. Determining noise sources and paths in a complex assembly such as a dashboard, disc brake, or cooling system is an extremely difficult task; technology like this should make the job a bit easier and allow vehicles to be designed that are quieter for people both on the inside and outside of them.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies