Proton, the Malaysian auto maker, has publicly stated it will not stop Volkswagen AG from buying a stake in its company. Mitsubishi already has about an 18% combined stake in the company. Proton has been very successful considering the company's age. In fact, they own the Lotus Group and MV Augusta, the Italian motorcycle maker. VW and Proton have already partnered together, VW using Proton to tap into the Asian market and possible accessing Lotus engineers, while Proton receives another potential component source. Perhaps Proton will also have access to better quality control processes.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies