The businesses that have really helped the bottom line for GM and Ford have been their finance arms. The bid for an almost 9 percent stake in GM from billionaire Kirk Kerkorian this morning was not so much a vote of confidence in GM autos, but in their non-auto assets from GMAC. The mortgage and insurance businesses accounted for half of GMAC's $2.9 billion profit in 2004, and that's what Kirk really wants. Oh, and to remove all the mirrors from his house. "Love that Joker!"
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies
From Our Partners
Here's all the footage of Ken Block's Top Gear Gymkhana segment that didn't make the showWatch Video