Thanks primarily to the redesigned Toyota Prius that secured 64 percent of the hybrids registered last year, sales reached a total of 83,153 units of the fuel-efficient vehicles. Toyota is on course to double the Prius sales this year. The Honda Civic hybrid grabbed 31 percent market share. The Honda Accord and Ford Escape hybrids were only on the market for a few months and did not rack up the sales. With full year sales of the aforementioned vehicles, more available Priuses and the introduction of the Lexus RX400h, Toyota Highlander and Mercury Mariner this year, the sales for 2005 should double once again.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies