We read this story a few times to try and figure what actual Guinness record this Fifth Generation Golf 1.9 Turbo Diesel actually broke. It sounds like this guy broke the record for going the furthest on a tank of gas in a diesel car. The driver went from Germany through Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Italy, Slovenia, West Croatia, Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. The Golf was forced to drive over 75 mph over much of the fifteen-hour trip and at the end of the journey returned over 53.4 mpg. The driver, Gerhard Plattner, has a fetish for economy-distance driving. He also has also broke records in a VW Lupo in 2003.
- Volvo shoots for self-drivers by 2021
- Jeep spends $1 billion on factories
- Find Parts & Accessories for your vehicle!
- Obama rolls out new EV plan
- Infiniti dealers ranked best, Tesla worst
- Compare Volvo XC90 and Lincoln MKX
From Our Partners
Recharge Wrap-up: Autopilot mitigates accident in video, Ford exits India's EV consortiumWatch Video