VW has aligned the new Jetta and Passat not only in looks, but in options except for one in the powertrain checklist, the VR6. Volkswagen will introduce a new VR6 engine for the Passat with performance numbers close to the failed W8. This engine will not be shared with the Jetta. Where the Jetta will one-up the Passat is in diesel choices. The Jetta will get a 1.9-liter diesel this summer while the Passat will have to wait till around 2007 for that option. Jetta performance fans will need to be happy with the GLI's 2.0T engine which VW says will match the V-6's performance and be lighter and more fuel-efficient. The GLI will be marketed as its own vehicle, much like the GTI is to the Golf.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies