After shoving a deformable barrier into 16 small cars at 31mph, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) discovered that a small car is not the best place to be when an SUV piles into the side of your car. The Ford Focus, Mazda3, Nissan Sentra and Suzuki Aerio all received a "poor" rating in the IIHS test. They were not alone in their misery; none of the 16 qualified as "good". The Dodge Neon was singled-out as the worst performer, its results called "disastrous". It's worth noting that the IIHS' tests cars were without optional airbags unless the manufacturer agrees to provide a second vehicle for a second test with the airbag. But even with the bags, none of the cars met the highest standard.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies
From Our Partners
Here's all the footage of Ken Block's Top Gear Gymkhana segment that didn't make the showWatch Video