BMW has been forced to modify certain aspects of the new 5-Series so that it would achieve a good crash test rating by the Euro NCAP, while rivals of the 5-Series, such as the Mercendes-Benz E-Class, Audi A6, and Saab 9-5 have all recieved 5-star ratings. The improvements to the 5-Series included modifying the steering column, footrest, door trim, door latch, airbags, and software, yet the vehicle still only recieved a 4-star rating. The vehicle was also criticized regarding child protection, which scored three stars as compared to the four stars by other cars in it's class, as well as pedestrian protection, which the NCAP described as 'dire'. As yes, more fuel for the Bangle-haters fire - I can see them all lighting up their torches and sharpening their axes now.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies