Even though everyone was really excited a few years ago when Volkswagen announced they were going to make a production version of the Microbus that won raves as a concept car, VW is scrapping the retro design in favor of something with more universal appeal. VW realized that it was styling the vehicle specifically for success in the U.S. market, which they've since realized does not necessarily translate to global success. And one thing VW cannot risk is global success. So the new as-yet-unseen design will share parts with the Euro-market T5 van, and will probably not at all resemble the funky love bus seen in the above image. Manufacturing will begin in Hanover in 2007.
- Volvo shoots for self-drivers by 2021
- Jeep spends $1 billion on factories
- Find Parts & Accessories for your vehicle!
- Obama rolls out new EV plan
- Infiniti dealers ranked best, Tesla worst
- Compare Volvo XC90 and Lincoln MKX
From Our Partners
Recharge Wrap-up: Autopilot mitigates accident in video, Ford exits India's EV consortiumWatch Video