Yes nanotechnology, and its microscopic scale of engineering, could make a huge impact on future vehicles' safety, performance and price. GM leads the car companies using the technology. Already, cargo liners for the H2 Hummer and body panels for the Malibu sedan have been enhanced. But Ford isn't far behind and, like GM, sees a lot of potential for nanotechnology in parts like catalytic converters. It could possibly save money by replacing expensive materials like platinum in certain parts.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies